- ¾ cup Sea Island Blue Cornmeal
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tbsp of butter
- ¾ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- In a medium bowl mix the Sea Island Blue Cornmeal, salt and sugar. Stir in the boiling water and combine well. Cover and let stand.
- Combine the milk, egg and melted butter. Stir the milk mixture into the cornmeal mixture.
- Combine the flour and baking powder. Stir into the mixture until just incorporated. If the batter is stiff, add a little more milk until it flows off the spoon thickly, but smoothly.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat, and grease it with a dab of oil or butter.
- Use about 2 tbsp of batter for each pancake. When the entire surface of the pancakes are covered with bubbles, flip them over, and cook the other side until golden. Serve immediately.