Black-eyed peas, simmered with a ham bone, are a traditional New Year's Day meal.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 2 hours
Total Time 2 hours 10 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
- 1 ham bone, ham hock or ham seasoning packet
- Wash the dried beans and sort through them, removing any sediment.
- Place the beans in a pot and cover with water. Soak overnight.
- Prior to cooking, drain and rinse the beans.
- Return beans to pot and cover with water. Add a ham bone, ham hock, fatback or other pork for flavoring.
- Season with salt and pepper, about 1 teaspoon each.
- Bring beans to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer covered for 1 ½ to 2 hours, until beans are tender.