For the Salad:
- 1 cup Marsh Hen Mill Farro
- 2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Large shallot, very thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups lightly packed arugula
- 1 Green apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped basil
- 1/8 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
For the Dressing:
- Cooled oil from the shallots
- 3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon honey
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, combine farro, vegetable broth, salt, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and let cook, stirring occasionally, until farro is tender and no broth remains (about 30-40 minutes).
- When farro is cooked, transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- While farro is cooking, in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine oil and shallots.
- When the shallots begin to bubble, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots are golden and crisp(15 to 20 minutes).
- Remove shallots from oil with a slotted spoon and place on a paper-towel lined plate and season with salt. Let oil cool.
- Make dressing: in a medium bowl, combine the cooled olive oil with vinegar, mustard, and honey and season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble salad: combine cooked farro, crispy shallots, arugula, apple, parmesan, basil, parsley, and pecans. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss to coat.