- 1 Cup Marsh Hen Mill Stone Ground Grits (any variety)
- 4 Cups Water
- Salt and Butter to taste
- Bring water to a rapid boil in a heavy saucepan (you may start with 3 cups of water and add the 4th as needed while cooking — this may reduce cook time, but will require a closer eye and more stirring).
- Add salt and butter.
- Add grits and stir well until water boils again.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and continue cooking for about 25 minutes, stirring often and adding water if needed.
- Add additional salt and butter to taste.
Cooking time may vary depending on the stove top and the conditions in the kitchen. Elevation and humidity effect cooking times.