Refried Beans aren't exactly what comes to mind when you think of Southern Food. One of the great things, however, about supporting local farmers is that it forces you to get creative with what's available. Although similar, peas are found much more abundantly in the south than their bean counterpart. That’s why we’ve developed this easy refried red pea recipe to impress your friends on Taco Tuesday!
- 2 cups Marsh Hen Mills Red Peas
- 1 small yellow onion
- 6 cups broth (I’m using chicken broth but use whatever you have)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ cup lime juice
- First, put your red peas in a large bowl and submerge them in water. You want the water to come over the peas a few inches because some of the water will be absorbed. Cover with a dish towel and leave to soak overnight.
- The next day, drain the peas.
- Saute onion, garlic, and spices.
- In a large pot, combine your sauteed onion mixture with the peas & broth.
- Let simmer for 1-2 hours or until the beans are fully cooked and tender.
- Using a potato masher, mash the beans until you’ve reached your desired consistency.
- Add salt & lime juice to taste. Serve hot.
Recipe courtesy of Cane Bay Kitchen.