For the Salad:
- 1 cup uncooked Marsh Hen Mill Farro
- 2 c. vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large cucumber seeded and finely diced
- 3/4 cup jarred roasted red peppers drained and finely diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup frozen petite peas thawed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
For the Italian Vinaigrette Dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, combine farro, vegetable broth, salt, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and let cook, stirring occasionally, until farro is tender and no broth remains (30-40 minutes).
- When farro is cooked, transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- While the farro cooks, prepare the dressing: In a small bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon, honey, oregano, salt, and pepper until evenly blended.
- Pour half of the dressing over the warm farro and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Toss to coat.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the bowl except for the feta: cucumber, roasted red pepper, cherry tomatoes, peas, and parsley. Toss to coat.
- Taste and add as much of the remaining dressing as you like. Sprinkle with feta, lightly toss again, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve cold or at room temperature. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If you won’t be eating all the salad right away, reserve some of the dressing to moisten and revive the leftovers. If you do use all of it, you can also brighten the leftovers up with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- You may want to add an ingredient ( such as olives), or leave one out (possibly the peas). Experiment till you find your favorite combination.